CARL MARKS MERCHANT PARTNERS SEEKS TO INVEST IN MIDDLE-MARKET COMPANIES WHERE THE BASIC STRENGTHS AND FUNDAMENTALS OF THE BUSINESS CAN BE IMPROVED. THE GROUP’S OBJECTIVE IS TO STRUCTURE EQUITY AND JUNIOR CAPITAL INVESTMENTS IN COMPANIES WHERE ITS STRATEGIC AND OPERATIONAL EXPERTISE CAN BE EFFECTIVELY DEPLOYED.
THESE INVESTMENT SITUATIONS MAY INCLUDE:
- Operating turnarounds and restructurings
- Management buyouts of family-controlled or owner-managed businesses
- Growth companies requiring capital and strategic management
Carl Marks Merchant Partners is different from other private equity businesses in two important respects. First, its partners possess in-depth operating experience across a variety of industries. This experience allows Carl Marks Merchant Partners to quickly grasp the issues and opportunities that surround potential investment targets as well as develop a connection with operating management. Second, the group is investing the funds of Carl Marks & Co. affiliates and its partners. Because Carl Marks Merchant Partners is not a traditional institutional fund with a planned exit date, investments are able to be held over the duration that is necessary to maximize value to shareholders.
In each investment, Carl Marks Merchant Partners seeks to develop a meaningful partnership with existing operating management. The group values the skills and experience that superior operating management can bring to the table. The goal is to augment operating management with valuable strategic insights that the group’s partners have obtained through years of experience in managing businesses. In each investment, Carl Marks Merchant Partners seeks to:
- Develop a common understanding with management of the business circumstances and requirements for future success
- Share a common vision of the business goals
- Advise management in developing a business plan
- Support management in the execution of the plan
- Align management’s financial interests with those of the investors